Diversity and Inclusion in the Veterinary Environment – Respect, Solidarity, Empowerment
- The WCVM DIVERSE (DIVERSE) club provides a safe space for WCVM black, indigenous, people of colour (BIPOC), students with disabilities and our allies to come together in solidarity to shine a much needed light on racism, exclusion and discrimination within the veterinary field.
- WCVM DIVERSE aims to increase inclusivity for all regardless of race, gender identity, sex, age, religion, family status or disability.
- This club will serve as a source of information and education on proactive anti-racism and anti-discrimination for its members through discussions, guest speaker series and outreach initiatives. We hope this club will instill the confidence necessary for members to proudly and boldly promote a student and work environment free from discrimination.
- As a branch of OVC DIVERSE, this club broadens its access to speakers, platforms and networks in the Canadian Veterinary Collegiate System.
- We aim to promote learning and networking with students and DVMs that identify as BIPOC, students with disabilities and with our allies.
- We celebrate the diversity that makes us unique and share our cultures and experiences with our colleagues.
- Our goal is to increase inclusivity for all regardless of race, gender identity, sex, age, religion, family status or disability.
- We aim to create a safe space for discussions about a range of relevant topics, including but not limited to anti-racism, anti-oppression, ally-ship and privilege.
- We hope to work with underrepresented communities increasing awareness and access in conjunction with the One-welfare Veterinary Outreach Initiative club (OVO).
- We aim to lobby administration efforts to recruit and support more pre-veterinary Canadian BIPOC and individuals with disabilities.
- We hope to instill confidence in our members and thereby the veterinary community at large to become proactive advocates and stewards of anti-racism and anti-discrimination